David-Schuster trail runs along the southeast wall to the Häuselberg
Opening hours in the Israelite cemetery:
Sun -Do, 9.00 to 18.00 o'clock, except Jewish holidays,
Fridays and before the Jewish Holidays - 9.00 to 16.00 o'clock.
Further information during opening hours in the municipal office. Tel: 0931-404140.
Jewish cemetery in Wuerzburg expanded
The Israelite cemetery in Würzburg has been enlarged. The final resting place for Lower Franconian Jews has grown by 2,300 square meters. The extension was celebrated with a ceremony on 26.11.2016.
Josef Schuster - President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Chairman of the Jewish Cultural Communities in Bavaria and Chairman of the Jewish Cultural Community for Würzburg and Lower Franconia - gave the festive speech.
The new area of the cemetery is connected to the old cemetery by a metal bridge and a staircase. The new cemetery part is designed for 406 individual graves. The new area is planted with lawn and surrounded by a wall. In addition, 28 trees were planted there. The Israelite cemetery in Würzburg has been the only cemetery in Lower Franconia since 1945 where burials are still taking place.
Final resting place for eternity
The Israelite cemetery in Würzburg was built in 1882. Because Jewish graves, according to the understanding of religion, have been laid out forever and are therefore not abandoned, an enlargement had become necessary since the 1990s due to the move of Eastern European Jews. As a result, the community had grown from around 200 to over 1,000 members. /Quelle/